World Vision Global Strategy
Our Call and Aspiration
WV Southern Africa aspires to be a Region in which children enjoy true well-being. We are called to mobilize communities, the church, civil society partners, donors, and government to walk with and learn from children and focus our mutual efforts on the wellbeing of children
Lack of coordinated measurement and reporting of strategy.
Disparate monitoring tools are required to enable integrated strategy measurement and reporting.
Significant measurement gaps existed in certain areas, requiring creating of new tools and connecting these mechanisms within our overall strategy.
PowerPoint-based Strategy Maps and Excel-based Scorecards lacked the capacity to link scorecards and integrate with other systems
There was then a need for an integrated Performance Improvement system, cutting across 4 different levels (Region, National Office, Department, and Programmes), which are connected by common strategic objectives, indicators, and initiatives.
What is the SEPI Framework?
SEPI or Strategy Execution and Performance Improvement System is our integrated Regional framework for monitoring and reporting strategic execution and performance.
It’s a system to align our strategy execution process, while at the same time facilitating discussions that lead to learning and performance improvement
It’s based on the Balanced Scorecard methodology
Through the strategy map, strategic objectives are defined, and with the scorecard, those objectives are translated into measurable indicators and targets, including strategic initiatives that support the execution of our strategy
Each entity has its own scorecard, reflecting its particular contribution to the strategy
SEPI Live Tour…..Strategy Map
SEPI Live Tour…..Dashboard
SEPI Live Tour …..Abridged Report
Benefits of SEPI
SEPI provides an integrated and interactive platform for managing our strategy and performance; enhancing communication and information sharing.
Improves data management – uploading, retrieval, analysis, and reporting
Easy to manage initiatives
Provides a single source of information – one version of truth
Solution Design and Customisation
Cascading the Scorecards
How are we using Scorecards?
- Scorecards are updated regularly and used as the cornerstone for strategic and operational discussions, depending on the level of scorecards:
- Regional and National Office scorecards are being used to review the strategy during leadership sessions – semi-annually
- Department and Programme scorecards are used for more operational purposes
- A Scorecard provides information on the values of the metrics and the status of the initiatives; reflecting on the performance and uncovering learning and improvement opportunities.
Different Level Scorecards Have Different Users
- Regional Scorecard is used by Regional Leaders & Regional Directors to review the implementation of the Regional Strategy, results achieved, and initiatives required.
- Regional Department Scorecards are used by each Regional Director and his/her team to review each department/unit’s performance and contribution to the regional strategy, ensuring the strategic objectives are achieved.
- National Office Scorecards are used by each ND and the Regional Leader to review the implementation of strategies at the National Office level, discussing performance improvement opportunities, results, and supporting initiatives.
- National Office Department Scorecards are used by each Director in the NO, the ND, and line managers to review each department’s performance and contribution to the NO strategy, ensuring the strategic objectives are achieved.
- ADP Scorecards are used by ADP Managers and immediate line managers to review ADP performance, analyze achievement of strategic objectives, and contribute to the NO Strategy
Leadership have envisioned and communicated a World Vision Southern Africa Regional organization that is strategy and performance led
Regional and National Office leadership have also been leading the cascading of strategy into department plans and employee performance agreements; facilitating alignment between performance and strategy
Through participation, employees have been empowered to be custodians and ambassadors of their own level of the organizational strategy
Opportunities have been created for employees to appreciate their own contribution to their own entity’s performance
Change Leadership Plan
Adoption of SEPI was low at the beginning; just limited to populating it with values for some of the indicators.
The tool provides more functionality, that was not being used. Through continued coaching, users are now utilizing more and more of the tool’s functionalities; enabling the provision of evidence, comments, actions, etc.
The users initially perceived the tool as not being very user-friendly.
However, through ongoing conversations with EBS, several areas have been customized to simplify the tool for users, e.g. shorter word report, navigation, editing, and aligned nomenclature
Initiatives for the scorecard in SEPI and those in the annual business plan (previously done in a platform called Smartsheets) are currently being integrated under SEPI.
Licenses. We’ve now realized that for us to be more effective we probably need more users accessing the tool than originally planned. Ideally, every owner of an indicator should then be able to access the tool to report on that indicator, upload the supporting evidence, identify actions, etc.
Ongoing efforts on improving the tool, increasing the tool’s adoption, and leveraging its functionality